Thursday, November 26, 2009

A mzungu plays football

Team Shot “Mzungu” is a friendly swahili term for white person, and it is what we get called all of the time by strangers and kids.  I am especially called mzungu when I am playing in away soccer matches with my team, Ngata FC.  Mzungu The other players use it and especially kids that come to watch yell my name and try to get my attention.  Two weeks ago, Colleen joined me for one of the matches so she could take some photos… and she was a bigger celebrity that I (no surprise there).  I wish I had had the camera to take pictures of her surrounded by 30+ kids trying to talk to her in English or wanting to touch her hair, etc.  Colleen's fanclub It was really funny.  The game was fun – we won 4-nil, I scored a goal, and managed not to embarrass myself too much… :  )  CLICK HERE for the full album of pictures from the match.

Since tribal and socioeconomic differences can be real problems in many communities, sometimes leading to violence, I am hoping that we can register the team as Ngata United Football Club.  Dixon Using soccer as a way to bring people together and hopefully unify the different factions in the community is something that I am passionate about and hope to work towards.  It is interesting that we “mzungu” often can’t even tell the tribes apart or figure out who is who, yet there is underlying tension ready to surface at anytime.  Please pray for Kenya and our ministry here, that we can preach Christ’s messages of reconciliation and unity. 

One of my friends from back home is sending some cleats since many guys on the team don’t have shoes (though we usually share enough for most to have during the games).   SteveO in barefeet I am so thankful that he was able to collect so many from the High School team he coaches and can’t wait to pass them out!  If you are interested in supporting the team, they are currently trying to raise funds to purchase some new uniforms.  Let me know if you are interested!

“May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as your follow Christ Jesus” – Romans 15:5

As always, thanks for reading!  

Cason

1 comment:

  1. Just now getting to this post. Awesome! I learn a new word and find out my cousin-in-law is capable of holding his own with the Kenyans.

    Oh, and great ministry too. :-0D

    ReplyDelete